To achieve optimal performance when shooting high-bitrate videos with a GoPro HERO 4, it’s crucial to use a memory card that is strong, efficient, cost-effective, and fast. To know what is the max SD card size your camera can handle can be highly important while filming. Although some retailers might offer memory cards as part of a bundle deal, it’s often necessary to select a suitable card that meets your requirements.
This article offers some excellent recommendations for SD cards that work best with the GoPro HERO4, as well as the maximum card size the camera can handle.
Max SD Card Size For GoPro Hero 4
Since GoPro cameras do not come with a memory card, selecting a high-speed card is essential for the best results. Both the HERO4 Black and Silver editions can shoot 4K and high-framerate videos, and SD cards should be fast enough to keep up with the high-bitrate videos.
The HERO 4 uses the UHS-I host specification and can also work with UHS-II specifications, although users may not experience the full benefits of UHS-II. Speed Class is the official unit of speed measurement for all SD cards, with five different speed classes ranging from 2 to 10 (10 being the fastest). Ultra-high-speed cards U1 and U3 have higher transfer rates, with U3 offering up to 30MB/s.
To achieve good speed results with the HERO 4, it’s recommended to use cards rated with V30 or U3. U1 cards are also suitable for use with the HERO 4.
GoPro HERO 4 Memory Card Size
The size of a memory card determines a camera’s capacity for recording and storing files. The GoPro HERO 4 is compatible with memory cards up to 128GB in capacity, although higher capacity cards may also work well with the camera.
The following storage size variants can be used with the GoPro HERO 4 camera:
For optimal results, it’s recommended to use 32GB-64GB cards.
GoPro HERO 4 Card Recording Time
Below are the estimated numbers of photos and footage duration that can be stored on memory cards of various sizes.
32GB Memory Card Recording Time
- Number of Pictures: 12,157
- 5K (30fps) Video: 48 Mins
- 4K (60fps) Video: 48 Mins.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 48 Mins.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 1:00 Hr.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 1:00 Hr.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 1:19 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 1:19 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 1:55 Hrs.
64GB Memory Card Recording Time
- Number of Pictures: 24,337
- 5K (30fps) Video: 1:37 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 1:37 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 1:37 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 2:06 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 2:06 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 2:38 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 2:38 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 3:50 Hrs.
128GB Memory Card Recording Time
- Number of Pictures: 48,960
- 5K (30fps) Video: 3:15 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 3:15 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 3:15 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 4:02 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 4:02 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 5:18 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 5:18 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 7:43 Hrs.
256GB Memory Card Recording Time
- Number of Pictures: 97920
- 5K (30fps) Video: 6:30 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 6:30 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 6:30 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 8:00 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 8:00 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 10:36 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 10:36 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 15:26 Hrs.
Please note that these estimates are intended as a guide to give you an idea of what to expect from each size variant.
GoPro Officially Recommended Memory Cards for HERO 4
Listed below are two SD cards that are recommended for use with the GoPro HERO 4:
1. Samsung EVO Select UHS-I SD Card
- Brand: Samsung
- Speed Class: UHS-I (U3), Class 10, V30
- Maximum Read Speed: 100MB/s
- Maximum Write Speed: 90MB/s
- Storage Capacity: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
- Ideal for recording 4K UHD video: Samsung MicroSD Evo is perfect for high res photos,...
- Enhanced read write speeds: Sequential read and write performance levels of up to...
- Built to last reliability: Shock proof memory card is also water proof, temperature...
The Samsung EVO Select memory cards are another great option for use with the GoPro HERO 4. With read speeds of up to 100MB/s and write speeds of up to 90MB/s, these cards are capable of recording 4K UHD videos. They are made with durable materials to withstand harsh conditions and are rigorously tested for quality and performance to keep your memories safe.
The Samsung EVO Select microSD card is available in sizes ranging from 32GB to 512GB, making it a versatile option to suit various storage needs. It’s worth noting that this microSD card is also a best-seller on Amazon.
2. SanDisk Extreme UHS-I SD Card
- Brand: SanDisk
- Speed Class: UHS-I (U3), Class 10, V30
- Maximum Read Speed: 160MB/s
- Maximum Write Speed: 90MB/s
- Storage Capacity: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 400GB, 512GB, 1TB
- Up to 160MB/s read speeds to save time transferring high res images and 4K UHD...
- Up to 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting; Requires compatible devices capable of...
- 4K UHD and Full HD Ready with UHS speed class 3 (U3) and video speed class 30 (V30)
SanDisk cards are renowned for their high quality and impressive write speeds of up to 90 MB/s, as well as read speeds of up to 160 MB/s. These cards have undergone rigorous testing to ensure they are temperature-proof, waterproof, shock-proof, and x-ray-proof, making them highly durable and reliable.
The SanDisk Extreme microSD Card is also known for its high-speed rates of 30MB/s, making it ideal for recording supreme quality uninterrupted videos. Available in sizes ranging from 32GB to 1TB, this microSD card is a versatile option to suit various storage needs. It’s worth noting that this card is officially recommended by GoPro in their “Works with GoPro” certification program.
Find more GoPro Hero 6 compatible memory cards in the article: Top 7 Recommended SD Cards for GoPro HERO 4 (Black & Silver)
What SD Card Size Do You Choose?
If you’re a GoPro enthusiast and have experienced its action-packed features, you probably already know that selecting a compatible memory card is essential to enhance the overall experience. When planning your next trip or adventure, it’s important to consider how long you’ll be shooting and whether you’ll be using medium or high-quality video settings.
Whether you’re looking to capture stunning scenery or record adrenaline-fueled stunts, having a high-quality memory card can make all the difference. So, before your next adventure, be sure to choose a compatible card that suits your specific needs and preferences, and get ready to create amazing memories with your GoPro HERO 4.
For more information on compatible SD card sizes for ALL GoPro models, read the article:
Thank you for reading this guide!
I hope that it was helpful in teaching you everything you need to know about Max SD Card Size for GoPro Hero 4. 🙂
Don’t forget to share this article on social media with your family and friends!
- The GoPro SD Card Size YOU NEED [Review, Capacity, Price]
- 9 Best SD Cards for GoPro Hero 9 (GoPro Recommended)
- Recommended SD Cards for GoPro Hero 7 Black/White/Silver
- 7 Recommended SD Cards for GoPro Max [2022 Top Picks]
- GoPro HERO 8: SD Card Size and How Long Can