Looking for the best memory card for your GoPro HERO 5? You’ve come to the right place. I will explain you how to choose the max size SD Card that GoPro Hero 5 can hold for your best adventures!
It’s important to opt for a card that isn’t too slow or too fast and expensive, as the perfect fit will allow you to capture your adventures without any disruptions.
In this article, we will provide you with information on the top memory cards for the GoPro HERO 5.
Memory Card Specs for GoPro HERO 5
If you own a GoPro HERO 5 Black or Session, you may be wondering which type of memory card is the best fit for your camera. Every card comes with its own set of specifications, and it’s important to understand these in order to make the most of your camera.
First, let’s take a look at where the memory card is inserted in each camera. For the HERO 5 Black, the card slot is located on the underside of the camera, next to the battery. On the other hand, the HERO 5 Session has a compartment for the memory card on the left side of the camera body, next to the USB port.
Now, let’s talk about the specific specifications that you should consider when choosing a memory card for your HERO 5. The camera uses the UHS-I host specification, which means that you can use a card with UHS-II specs if you’d like. However, keep in mind that the HERO 5 will only utilize the UHS-I capabilities of the card, so you won’t get any additional benefits from the UHS-II specification.
One important aspect to consider is the speed class of the card. The speed class is an official unit of measurement for the speed of an SD card, and there are five different classes: 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 (with 10 being the fastest and 2 being the slowest). The speed class gives you the minimum transfer rate of data that the card is capable of.
Here’s a breakdown of the different speed classes and their corresponding minimum transfer rates:
- Class 2: 2MB/s
- Class 4: 4MB/s
- Class 6: 6MB/s
- Class 8: 8MB/s
- Class 10: 10MB/s
In addition to the standard speed classes, there are also ultra-high-speed cards known as U1 and U3. These cards have higher transfer rates than the standard classes:
- U1: 10MB/s (same as Class 10)
- U3: 30MB/s (equivalent to Class 30)
For the best results with your HERO 5, it’s recommended to use a card that is rated with V30 or U3, as these will provide the fastest data transfer speeds. U1 cards also work well with the HERO 5.
So, when choosing a memory card for your camera, be sure to consider the UHS-I host specification, speed class, and ultra-high-speed ratings to find the perfect fit for your needs.
Formatting your SD card before filming with the GoPro Hero 5 is highly recommended as it can help prevent issues during recording. Formatting clears any previous data on the card and sets up a file system that’s optimized for the camera.
This ensures that the camera can read and write to the card smoothly, reducing the chances of errors and corrupted files. Formatting the card regularly can help maintain its performance and lifespan. Therefore, it’s always a good practice to format your SD card on the GoPro Hero 5 before you start recording.
Read more: Mastering GoPro: Format Your SD Card Fast & Easy.
GoPro HERO 5 Memory Card Size
When it comes to selecting the right memory card for your GoPro HERO 5, one important factor to consider is card size. The HERO 5 can accept cards up to 128GB in capacity, but it can also work with higher capacity cards as well. Some size options to consider include:
- 256GB or 400GB
For best results, it is recommended to use cards with a size of 32GB-64GB. Keep in mind that larger cards will provide more storage space, but may not necessarily perform better in terms of data transfer speed. It’s important to find the right balance between size and performance to suit your needs.
Read more on SD Card size capacities in the article below: The GoPro SD Card Size YOU NEED [Review, Capacity, Price].
GoPro HERO 5 Memory Card Recording Time
Approximate storage capacity for photos and footage on different memory card sizes:
32GB Memory Card Recording Time
- Number of Pictures: 12,157
- 5K (30fps) Video: 48 Mins
- 4K (60fps) Video: 48 Mins.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 48 Mins.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 1:00 Hr.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 1:00 Hr.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 1:19 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 1:19 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 1:55 Hrs.
64GB Memory Card Recording Time
- Number of Pictures: 24,337
- 5K (30fps) Video: 1:37 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 1:37 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 1:37 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 2:06 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 2:06 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 2:38 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 2:38 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 3:50 Hrs.
128GB Memory Card Recording Time
- Number of Pictures: 48,960
- 5K (30fps) Video: 3:15 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 3:15 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 3:15 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 4:02 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 4:02 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 5:18 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 5:18 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 7:43 Hrs.
256GB Memory Card Recording Time
- Number of Pictures: 97920
- 5K (30fps) Video: 6:30 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 6:30 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 6:30 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 8:00 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 8:00 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 10:36 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 10:36 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 15:26 Hrs.
SD Cards Recommended by GoPro for HERO 5
Below mentioned are two SD cards that are recommended for the GoPro HERO 5:
SanDisk Extreme UHS-I Memory Card
- Brand: SanDisk
- Speed Class: UHS-I (U3), Class 10, V30
- Maximum Read Speed: 160MB/s
- Maximum Write Speed: 90MB/s
- Storage Capacity: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 400GB, 512GB, 1TB
- Up to 160MB/s read speeds to save time transferring high res images and 4K UHD...
- Up to 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting; Requires compatible devices capable of...
- 4K UHD and Full HD Ready with UHS speed class 3 (U3) and video speed class 30 (V30)
SanDisk memory cards are known for their excellent performance and quality. They offer fast write speeds of up to 90 MB/s and read speeds of up to 160 MB/s, making them ideal for recording high-quality video without interruption. These cards are also able to withstand harsh conditions, as they are tested to be temperature-resistant, waterproof, shock-proof, and x-ray-proof.
In addition, they have received the “Works with GoPro” certification from GoPro, indicating their suitability for use with GoPro cameras.
Lexar Professional 1000x UHS-II Memory Card
- Brand: Lexar
- Speed Class: UHS-II (U3), Class 10
- Maximum Read Speed: 150MB/s
- Maximum Write Speed: 90MB/s
- Storage Capacity: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- High-speed performance—leverages UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer speed...
- Premium memory solution for sports camcorders, tablets, and smartphones
- Designed for high-speed capture of high-quality images and extended lengths of 1080p...
Lexar Professional SD cards are another excellent choice for use with your GoPro Hero 5. They offer fast read speeds of up to 90 MB/s and write speeds of up to 150 MB/s, making them ideal for recording high-quality 4K video. These cards are also backward compatible with UHS-I devices, allowing you to use them with your GoPro Hero 5 without any issues. In addition, they are built with a strong and durable exterior to withstand harsh weather conditions.
Lexar Professional cards come in a range of storage capacities, including 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB, so you can choose the right amount of storage for your needs. All in all, these cards are a great pick for anyone looking for reliable memory for their GoPro Hero 5.
Find all the best Memory cards for your Hero 5 in the following article: 5 Best SD Cards for GoPro Hero 5 [Black + Session].
What is the Max Card Size for GoPro Hero 5?
When selecting an SD card for your GoPro, it’s important to choose one that is compatible with your camera and can meet your storage needs. A Class 10 card with UHS-I host specifications is a good choice, as it will provide the necessary speed and performance for your camera. It’s generally recommended to choose a card with a storage capacity of 32-64 GB, but if you need to store higher quality or extended footage, you may want to consider a card with a higher capacity. The right SD card can be a great companion for your GoPro, helping you capture and preserve all of your special memories.
Thank you for reading this guide!
I hope that it was helpful in teaching you everything you need to know about gopro hero 5 sd card max size:)
Don’t forget to share this article on social media with your family and friends.