Regardless of whether you’re the proud owner of an Xbox Series X or Series S, it’s inevitable that you’ll soon be faced with the hard decision of removing some games to accommodate storage limitations. Sure, you have the option to reinstall them later, but a more convenient solution is investing in external storage, specifically an SSD drive for Xbox (solid-state drive).
The possession of an SSD dramatically changes the way you handle storage on your Xbox Series X|S. Do you have a couple of favorite games you often return to? Transfer them to your external SSD for secure storage. This not only enables you to switch it back to the primary storage in a flash, but it also saves you from the potential pitfalls of data caps due to excessive redownloads. Clearly, it’s a mutually beneficial scenario!
So, without further delay, here are the top-tier external SSDs for the Xbox Series X|S that you can purchase right now.
Can I use an SSD for Xbox?
Yes, you can absolutely use a solid state drive (SSD) with your Xbox, and it can significantly improve your gaming experience. Let me elaborate on why and how.
SSDs offer numerous advantages over traditional hard disk drives (HDDs) for gaming consoles like Xbox:
- Faster Load Times: SSDs can read and write data much faster than HDDs. This means games stored on an SSD will load much quicker, which can make a noticeable difference in games with large open worlds or those that need to frequently load new areas.
- Improved Game Performance: Alongside faster load times, SSDs can improve in-game performance, reducing stutter and lag during gameplay. This is because many games continuously load data in the background while you’re playing, and SSDs can handle these tasks more efficiently.
- Portability and Convenience: External SSDs are often compact and lightweight, making them highly portable. If you want to bring your game library to a friend’s house, for example, you can easily do so.
- Increased Storage Capacity: Modern games can take up a lot of storage space, and the internal drive of your Xbox might not be sufficient, especially if you have an extensive game library. An SSD provides an easy way to expand your console’s storage.
- Smoother Game Updates: Game updates and patches can also be processed faster when using an SSD, which can save you time, especially when updating larger games.
When it comes to using an SSD with your Xbox, the process is quite straightforward. Most SSDs use a USB connection, so you can simply plug the SSD into an open USB port on your Xbox. The console should recognize the drive, and you’ll be prompted to format it. Once formatted, you can start installing games to the SSD.
Remember, not all SSDs are created equal. Some are faster and more durable than others, and prices can vary. When choosing an SSD for your Xbox, consider factors like capacity, speed, durability, and price. SSDs specifically designed for gaming, such as the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S, or others from reliable brands like Samsung, Crucial, or SanDisk, are usually good choices.
The Best 7 External SSD Drive for Xbox Series X|S
Here comes the list of our favorite 7 External SSD Drive for Xbox Series X|S:
1. Crucial X6 500GB Portable SSD – Our Best Pick
- HUGE CAPACITY: Up to 4TB, storage capacity - enough for up to 20,000 photos, 100...
- FAST: Read speeds up to 540MB/s – that's 3.8x faster than most hard drives
- TINY, LIGHTWEIGHT: Fits between your fingertips and weighs less than your car keys
If you’re seeking additional storage on a budget, the Crucial X6 500GB Portable SSD is an excellent alternative due to its reliable performance, sleek design, and cost-effectiveness.
Equipped with USB 3.2, the Crucial X6 500GB Portable SSD can achieve 540Mbps and 800Mbps read and write speeds, respectively. Given the average size of games, these transfer speeds are more than welcome.
Beyond its remarkable speed, the Crucial X6 500GB Portable SSD is incredibly compact. If you were anticipating a bulky piece of hardware comparable to the Xbox Series X|S, you’ll be relieved to learn that the X6 is slim and barely larger than your hand.
Find more SSD Crucial drives: Top 7 Best SSD Drive Crucial.
More 500GB SSD drives:
- 500gb External Hard Drive: 7 Best HDD & SSD
- 500GB SSD BATTLE: Sandisk Ultra ii SSD vs Samsung 850 Evo
2. WD Black P50 Game Drive SSD
- Shaped By Performance With Ssd Speeds Up To 2000Mb/S To Decrease Load Screen Times...
- Up To 4Tb Of Additional Storage For You To Keep Your Favorite Games And Save New...
- Shock-Resistant And Portable Form Factor That Provides Fast Access To Your Gaming...
Boasting durability, power, and vast storage capacities, the WD Black P50 Game Drive SSD is a veritable triple threat. Its resilient, shock-resistant casing and enduring reliability make it the ideal SSD for a long-term investment.
Firstly, the WD Black P50 Game Drive SSD offers a range of storage options: 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB. This provides you with a greater degree of choice based on your budget and storage requirements.
Above all, the WD Black P50 Game Drive SSD is incredibly quick, a standard characteristic of solid-state drives. With 2000Mbps transfer speeds, transferring games to and from the external storage to the main drive will be a breeze.
3. Crucial X8 2TB Portable SSD
- Incredible performance with read speeds up to 1050 MB/s.Specific uses: Storage
- Works with Windows, Mac, iPad Pro, Chromebook, Android, Linux, PS4, and Xbox One with...
- Durable design featuring an anodized aluminum core, drop proof up to 7.5 feet,...
Searching for an SSD that balances performance and considerable storage capacity? Look no further than the Crucial X8 Portable SSD. It delivers on all fronts and more.
The Crucial X8 Portable SSD simplifies the transfer of your beloved games to and from the main storage. With its USB 3.2 interface, it consistently achieves 1050Mbps and 1000Mbps read and write speeds, respectively. Even when dealing with larger game files, this SSD ensures time-efficiency.
Despite its impressive performance, the Crucial X8 Portable SSD is compact enough to fit in your hand and thin enough to effortlessly slip into your pocket. Moreover, it’s resistant to drops from heights up to 7.5 feet, nearly twice the average desk height.
4. Seagate Storage 1TB Expansion Card
- SEAMLESS GAMEPLAY: Designed in partnership with Xbox to seamlessly play Xbox Series...
- HIGH CAPACITY: 1TB of storage increases the overall capacity of the Xbox Series...
- EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX: The only available expansion card that replicates the Xbox...
When it comes to Xbox Series X|S, no SSD is more high-end and robust than the Seagate Storage Expansion Card. To put it simply, it’s engineered specifically to fit perfectly within the Xbox Series X|S architecture.
The most admirable attribute of the Seagate Storage Expansion Card is its unique ability to run every Xbox Series X|S optimized title directly from the card. Consequently, you’re never faced with the tough choice of deciding which games to keep and which to transfer to external storage.
Sounds like a fantastic deal, doesn’t it? Surprisingly, the Official Seagate Storage Expansion Card still has more up its sleeve. It can not only launch games directly, but it also ensures no compromise on performance enhancements due to its flawless hardware integration. It’s as if you’ve equipped your Xbox Series X|S with an additional internal storage drive.
5. Samsung T7 2TB Shield
- ADOBE MEMBERSHIP: Get a two-month membership of Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan...
- RUGGED DURABILITY: Tough, fast, and compact, the all new rugged PSSD T7 Shield is...
- KEEP COOL AT HIGH SPEED: Transfer massive files in seconds; USB 3.2 Gen 2 and PCIe...
If you prioritize durability above all, the Samsung T7 Shield SSD is an exceptional choice. Its robust case guarantees the security of your game files.
The Samsung T7 Shield Solid State Drive comes equipped with a technologically advanced rubberized shell that keeps all the hardware well-protected. Remarkably strong, the T7 Shield can resist falls from up to 9.8 feet without affecting performance. Furthermore, its IP65 dust and water resistance rating adds an extra protective layer against environmental hazards.
However, don’t let its robust build mislead you about its performance. Contrary to what you may expect, the Samsung T7 Shield SSD boasts of read and write speeds of 1050Mbps and 1000Mbps, respectively, ensuring quick and easy game transfers.
6. Silicon Power 2TB Rugged Portable External SSD
- Superfast Read/Write speeds of up to 520 MB/s and 420 MB/s.
- Includes USB Type C to C and USB Type C to A cables
- Lightweight and durable aluminum shockproof design for traveling light and safely
If you’re in search of a straightforward, dependable storage solution for your Xbox Series X|S, look no further than the Silicon Power 2GB Rugged Portable External SSD. It offers commendable transfer speeds and robust durability that sets it apart as an unpretentious solid-state drive.
Firstly, the Silicon Power 2GB Rugged Portable External SSD impresses with its durability due to its rugged aluminum casing. Additionally, its unique grooved surface not only wards off scratches but also provides a solid grip, mitigating the risk of accidental drops.
In terms of performance, the Silicon Power 2GB Rugged Portable External SSD boasts of USB 3.2 Gen 2 and full compatibility with the Xbox Series X|S. While its read and write speeds of 520Mbps and 420Mbps, respectively, may not be record-breaking, they are notably faster than most mechanical hard drives. This makes it more beneficial to store unused games on the B75 Pro, instead of re-downloading them later.
7. SanDisk Extreme Pro 2TB SSD
- Save time storing and transferring data with powerful NVMe solid state performance...
- A forged aluminum chassis acts as a heat sink to deliver higher sustained speeds in a...
- Up to 2 meter drop protection and IP55 water and dust resistance (3), and a handy...
Engineered with portability in mind, the SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD is an ultra-fast solid-state drive, ideal for on-the-move gaming sessions with your Xbox Series X|S. It’s the perfect companion for those spontaneous gaming nights with friends.
With dimensions of 0.41 x 2.28 x 4.36 inches, the SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD can easily be slipped into a pocket or a protective case, such as a backpack or travel bag. It also boasts an IP55 dust and water-resistant rating, along with an aluminum chassis that keeps the SSD cool during operation and contributes to its durability.
But, its crowning feature is its speed. Owing to its high-performance NVMe solid-state technology and 2000Mbps read and write speeds, it transfers games in a matter of minutes, even larger titles.
Find more options: 7 Best External Hard Drives for Xbox (Compact & Affordable).
Which One is The Best SSD Drive for X box Series X|S?
Selecting the ideal SSD for your Xbox Series X|S ultimately comes down to a balance of your specific needs in terms of speed, storage, durability, and cost.
For an optimized experience that seamlessly integrates with your Xbox Series X|S, you cannot beat the Seagate Storage Expansion Card. As the only SSD capable of playing every Xbox Series X|S optimized title directly from the card, it offers an unparalleled level of convenience and efficiency.
If you’re searching for a device that’s as resilient as it is powerful, then the WD_Black P50 Game Drive SSD is your prime choice. It’s not only highly durable but also boasts impressive speed and substantial storage capacities.
In terms of value, the Crucial X6 Portable SSD provides a fantastic balance between cost and performance. While it may not be the fastest SSD on the market, its performance is more than adequate for most gaming needs, and it’s quite affordable.
Those seeking the pinnacle of durability should look no further than the Samsung T7 Shield SSD, a rugged device that doesn’t compromise on performance. On the other hand, the Silicon Power Bolt B75 Pro offers a no-nonsense solution with good speed and durability.
Thank you for reading this guide! I hope that it was helpful in teaching you everything you need to know about SSD drive for X box Series X|S:)
Don’t forget to share this article on social media with your family and friends.
- 7 Best External Hard Drives for PS4
- Nintendo Switch SD Card Max Size: The Gamers’ Guide
- NAS vs External Hard Drive: 5 Key Differences You MUST Know
- 3DS XL SD Card Size (What Capacity Do You Need?)